Ballarat & District Community Support Register – Volunteers
Community Register Support Volunteer
Ballarat & District Community Support Register is managed by the Police Proactive Unit and is a program of Neighbourhood Watch Ballarat.
Our Mission: To support confident and secure living among residents in Ballarat and the surrounding district.
It is a register where personal information (mainly contact and medical) can be used by approved authorities in the case of emergency. It provides clients with the confidence and if you are unable to provide information (say due to accident or illness) your medical details and who to notify are readily available to the relevant authorities.
Through the Community Register, the Police are working to promote confident secure and safe living at home.
Volunteers are responsible for entering and managing on a confidential computer database at the Police Proactive Unit in Ballarat, details which can be accessed by an authorised member of the Police force.
Clients are issued with a card and this is the link between the Register so it is necessary to carry it all times. Records are only made available to Police, Ambulance, Hospital or Fire Brigade.
The objectives of the Community Support Register are:
* to increase awareness of personal safety, security and a sense of social inclusion in the home
* to minimise the concerns of family members for the welfare of their relatives
* to strengthen and encourage community networks
* to assist residents to maintain an independent lifestyle
* to minimise the fear of crime and to create a closer relationship with Victoria Police
The role of the volunteer is to Input data on the computer and to make care calls by phone.
These calls are made weekly, fortnightly or monthly as preferred by the registrants.
Number of volunteers required
The Role is based at:
Volunteers are required Monday to Friday 10 am to 12 pm on any day. This can be weekly, fortnightly or monthly as agreed.
Desirable personal skills/qualities:
Enjoys having fun, likes the fresh air and making a difference to the environment in your local community, learning new things, meeting new people and being active.
Volunteer Role Key duties
Duties are to
* undertake data entry and maintenance using a data base program
* Receive phone enquiries
* Prepare, collate and address letters and newsletters to registrants
* Make “Care Calls” to registrants as scheduled
* Other general office duties as directed
For more details contact:
Pam Walter – Coordinator