Volunteer Coordinators’ Network – A Year in Review
The Ballarat Volunteer Coordinators Network has continued to grow and run more events in 2016. It is wonderful to see more coordinators and managers from different organisations being involved with the Network, and benefitting from the learning and linking opportunities.
The bi-annual Network meetings have attracted more people, with an average of 16 attending. Many thanks to the coordinators at the following organisations for hosting the Network meetings this year:
- UnitingCare & Pinarc
- Hepburn Shire Council @ The Clunes Visitor Centre
- Ballarat Community Health
- State Emergency Service
- Ballarat Health Services.
We have also run a valuable and extremely well-attended training calendar, affording some terrific learning opportunities:
- ‘How to conduct difficult conversations’, presented by Barry Doyle from BGT
- ‘Recruitment, Reward and Retention’, by Fiona O’Leary from ‘A little from a lot’, at UnitingCare
- ‘Managing Volunteers’, also presented by Fiona O’Leary, at UnitingCare
- ‘Cultural Competency’, by Alyssa from CMY, at Tech Park.
Thank you to Dawn at UnitingCare for arranging the space for some of these sessions, and Torie from United Way for sourcing and planning these sessions, and arranging the catering.
The Executive group work hard behind the scenes to develop the Network, aligning to the principles of Advice, Advocacy and Collaboration. It is our intention to reach out to all coordinators and managers of volunteers in the district and offer them support, networking, mentoring, learning opportunities and inclusion at events. My thanks to the Exec group for their time, expertise and dedication to volunteering in the Ballarat community.
We look forward to an equally vibrant 2017 and thank you for participating in the Network.
Chair of the Volunteer Coordinators Network Executive Group
Manager Volunteer Services Ballarat Health Services